Saturday, November 16, 2013

Thoughts on Digital Storytelling

I hate to say it, but this week's MOOC Talk left me feeling pretty lost. I found the idea of digital storytelling to be a bit confusing, not in its definition but in it application. I think I understood the definition of digital storytelling fairly easily- it is using media to tell a story of someone or something that is important or relevant. Also, Bryan Alexander attributed the term "predictable," to the definition of something that would be described as the opposite of digital storytelling.

I also understand digital storytelling as it pertains to metaliteracy and metacognition. In regards to metaliteracy, digital storytelling provides us with the ability to place a new dimension on a story that may have been previously told. For example, before electronics and digital media, a historical lesson on Ancient Egypt may have only included a lecture, a couple of books to read, and a question and answer period with an authority on the subject. However, today, the lesson would be completely different. With the incorporation of electronics and media to the story, we would be able to watch a documentary on Egypt, or create a Twitter page for Ramses the Great. However, creating that Twitter page allows us to dwell in the metacognitive dimension of thinking. We have the information and we know what medium we want to use to present it, but we have to think about how we can best present the information for maximum absorption by our intended audience.

My only criticism about digital storytelling is that it may result in an interpretation that is confusing or misleading. I got this idea from a section in the MOOC Talk, where Mr. Alexander shows us a series of pictures that supposedly tell a story. There are no words in the pictures, which means that they are left up to our own interpretation. But isn't this problematic? I feel like one of the most important aspects of storytelling, is that each "reader" can walk away with the same narrative, but there is no way that this can be the case with some of the variations of digital storytelling. However, that may just be my view, so I open this up to my readers. What do you think? Is digital storytelling effective?


3 comments:

  1. You know, I had similar thoughts when I first encountered digital storytelling. And I think the "problematic" issue you brings up is prevalent in media today. Most people interpret the information they receive differently or tend to bend the information the way they want it.

    When we talk about application in a formal classroom though, I believe that was the right facilitation it can be effective. But I would distinguish between "understanding" and "narrative." While we want everyone to have the same understanding of a concept or topic, how people relate to it is going to be different because of their varying experiences--and thus a different narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with bdleaf ,,,,, we all interpret information based on our previous knowledge. This is what makes us different . I don't even think we can process same information consumed as some one else would , there will always be a difference.

    ReplyDelete