Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Biology + Technology

I think that this week's MOOC Talk presentation was perfectly placed in the outline for our overall MOOC course, and I thought of this final talk as a way to think about metaliteracy moving forward into the future. I like to think of technobiophilia as a synthesis of nature and technology, and I really do think that this idea is useful in terms of embracing technology and bridging the gap between analog and digital processes.

I am really appreciative that my questions have been answered for the past few MOOC Talks, because I think that my reasoning and understanding in this course has taken a dramatic turn for the better, in comparison to the first few Talks. This week, I was a bit confused about the concept of technobiophilia, so below was the question that I sent in for this week's MOOC Talk:

"In reading the MOOC Talk website, one sentence seemed to catch my eye: "She [Sue Thomas] believes that the restorative qualities of biophilia can alleviate mental fatigue and enhance our capacity for directed attention, soothing our connected minds and easing our relationship with computers."
I understand that we like to relate technological concepts to events in nature, but I do not understand how we can hone in biophilia to ease others into a relationship with technology. Can Ms. Thomas 
 give us a few examples of how the restorative qualities of biophilia are accessed, in practice?"

Although Ms. Thomas did not answer my question directly, she made a few good points throughout her lecture. What I was truly asking, was how can technology provide a healing or restorative experience to its users. I asked this question because although I can see how technology and nature are connected, I do find that for myself and others, technology can be a bit stressful at times. As I have mentioned before in my previous post on Digital Storytelling, technology is becoming a more and more integral part of our everyday processes, even down to the most mundane of tasks. However, in an attempt to simplify processes, I find that technology makes them more difficult. I even have a few friends and family members that become quite stressed anytime they have to deal with something regarding technology. 

So this is where my question developed from. I was interested to hear Ms. Thomas' ideas on how technology itself could be restorative or healing, even for a person who is not comfortable with using it. Perhaps technology could be used for meditation or other healing practices, but how would we ease a person into this transition?



3 comments:

  1. To say technology could be restorative or healing, it only implies that we are becoming more dependent on it. If anything, they are doing the work for us. The term technology itself has a broad range of meaning. It can be use for medical purposes, manufacturing technology etc. However, in terms of technobiophilia, it doesn't seem right to account for all types of technology (linking nature and technology).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,
    Technobiophilia is not proposing to heal us directly , it only seeks to provide us with a form of relaxation while we are indoor using our computers, since it is clear that we cannot completely shut out the machines from our lives , then we should be able to provide a means that will help balance out our nature needs , this what technobiophilia intends to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittany, I get the angle from which you are approaching how technology can be restorative or healing. I believe for example, any ailing individual can still appreciate some really soothing instrumentals or music while laying in a sick bed. Even without realizing it's impact directly, there is still a relaxing effect on the patient and that can help make him or her feel better, reduce the blood pressure and even help calm visiting family members and friends.

    ReplyDelete